Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is my location number?

Location Numbers.jpg

Each location served by Federated has a location number. This number is keyed into our systems and helps personnel locate you during a power outage or if you call in and need your account accessed.

Always know your location number when you contact Federated Rural Electric.

What is my account number?
Federated customers also have an account number. It can be found on your bill. It is good to have it handy when calling in with questions, so customer service representatives can quickly look up your account.

Becoming a new member?
Contact us during business hours. Federated needs your new address, phone numbers (home, work and cell), date of move and Federated location number on meter pole (or name of previous occupant).

New members are required to pay a $20 initiation fee. This fee entitles them to all of the benefits of membership and gets the account set up. A deposit will be required unless a good credit history is provided from previous utility.

The deposit will be the greater amount — either $100 or one month's electric charge according to the location's past history. This deposit will be waived if the member provides an acceptable credit letter from their previous electric supplier or an acceptable Federated credit history if the member is or was a Federated member. The security deposit is refunded with interest after 12 months if the member's credit rating is acceptable. If the member has an insufficient credit history, the charge will be two times the average monthly bill.

What if I am unable to pay?
Federated wants to work with members to resolve past due accounts. Contact your cooperative about the situation and all possible efforts will be made to help resolve the issue.

Payment assistance:
Different agencies may be able to help. The co-op member needs to contact the agency to determine eligibility.

Jackson County Human Services 507-847-4000 
Martin County Human Services 507-238-4757 
Minnesota Valley Action Council (Martin County) 507-238-1663 
United Community Action (Jackson County) 507-847-2632 

Settling a delinquent account:
Although more than 90 percent of our members maintain excellent payment records, delinquent bills do become a problem for some individuals or businesses.

It is important to know our policies regarding disconnection and reconnection of service due to delinquent accounts, NSF checks and broken payment agreements. If you have questions, please contact our Collections Department at (507) 847-3520, (507) 728-8366 or 1-800-321-3520.

Disconnect notice:
Three weeks after the due date, a disconnect notice is mailed to all accounts that have not paid their electric bill. This notice informs the member of the amount past due and the date when the service may be disconnected if no action is taken to pay the bill. Failure to remit full payment, or failure to contact our Collections Department by the disconnection date stated on the notice, may result in disconnection.

Should you receive this notice, you are urged to take one of the two steps listed below.

  • Remit full payment of your bill before the disconnection date stated on the notice. 
  • Contact our Collections Department immediately if you are unable to pay your bill in full before the disconnection date stated on the notice to make payment plan arrangements.

Are you moving?
Call Federated at least one week before the date of your move. Let us know the final date that you are responsible for the electric bill. A forwarding address is also required so your final bill and future capital credits can be mailed to you.

Are you adding electric load?
The system bringing electricity to you is sized as close to the load at the site as possible for efficiency reasons. Contact Federated if you make any major additions or deletions to the electric equipment you routinely use, such as corn dryers or confinement buildings. Failure to do so may result in a power outage or a delay in serving your new load.