Agricultural producers are the focus of an energy audit program that is available to members of your electric co-op.
Qualified participants will receive one-on-one assistance in identifying and prioritizing energy-efficiency opportunities to ultimately come away from the experience with an energy management plan to implement.
“We understand that each operation is unique and requires personalized assistance,” said Jill Eide, program manager at Great River Energy. “This program will take the guesswork out of where you should spend your time, money and efforts when it comes to energy management.”
Audit outcomes will provide information ranging from simple, no-cost operational changes that can save you money to an analysis of your energy use, which equipment is using the most energy and what can be done to decrease your energy costs.
Your electric cooperative offers this opportunity through its wholesale power provider, Great River Energy (GRE). GRE received a $100,000 grant from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Rural Energy for America Program (USDA-REAP) to conduct these audits. Program participants only need to pay 25 percent of the cost of their agricultural audit with the other 75 percent covered through grant funding. Average cost to producers are approximately $625, but can vary based on the operation’s size.
The United States Department of Agriculture has additional financial resources available for both energy audits and energy-efficiency projects through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP). EQIP audit funding can be applied for through your local. Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRSC) office.
Have an energy-efficiency project for this year and don’t want to wait for EQIP audit funding? Use the cooperative’s agricultural audit program to cover 75 percent of an AgEMP audit cost and immediately qualify for cooperative rebates and EQIP funding for implementation.
Are you not sure where to start with the agricultural audit or USDA-EQIP programs?
For more information call 1-800-441-8525 to verify audit eligibility and cost.
Otherwise, check out the co-op’s rebates on its website or call the co-op’s energy expert at 1-800-321-3520.